This is another painting that I started last year, and only finished recently. Like the others, I got started, and then I got lost–usually because I had no idea how to do what I wanted to do. Or even had no idea at all what I wanted to do next. 🙂 In this case, I lost track of the reference photo, so had to make things up if I was going to continue.
A year later[footnote]give or take; it was a long time. I had almost forgotten I had started this![/footnote], and I have more ideas so I have been pulling out the half-finished paintings to see what I can do with them.
This painting was conceived as a way to try a kind of stenciling, as shown in the split-leave philodendrons. The idea was to go from light in the foreground to darks in the background for the dark areas (bottom), and the reverse in the bright areas.
Painted on a quarter-sheet of cold-press Arches paper.